Skip to content
Things to look out
Things to look out for when shopping for hearing aids
Some key tips consumers should consider when shopping for hearing aids.
- 1. Get your hearing tested–Testing is usually covered by your insurance plan. Be sure to request a written copy of your test results, known as an audiogram.
- 2. Keep your options open–Make sure the hearing care professional you work with offers a variety of products from a number of different companies and providers, not just one brand of hearing aids.
- 3. Make sure you are allowed a trial period–You should get at least a 45-day home trial period to ensure that your new hearing aids are helping you. Be sure to understand whether there is a cancellation fee and its amount.
- 4. Write down the recommended hearing aid and price– Be sure to write the brand, model and price. This will allow you to compare apples to apples when you compare prices.
- 5. Compare pricing before you purchase–Consider what is included in your plan, such as batteries and length of service. Call around for prices.
- 7. Use a 12-month same-as-cash payment plan– This will spread out the payments. Ask about different payment options that will also extend the cost over a longer period of time.
- 8. Choose a company/professional that has earned your trust–You are purchasing more than hearing aids. You are purchasing service after the sale.